Tenant's Rights and Legal Support
- Student Legal Services: free legal counsel for matters such as landlord-tenant disputes, evictions, etc. The Attorney for Students advises currently registered Cal students regarding their legal questions, rights, and obligations. A student legal consultation might include (but is not limited to) one of the following examples:
- a landlord-tenant dispute
- a citation for a criminal infraction or misdemeanor
- filing an action in California Small Claims Court
- questions related to debt and/or collection actions
- issues arising from a car accident or auto insurance, or questions about family law
- Berkeley Rent Board: For tenants' rights issues (eviction & security deposit, leases, etc.).
- Bay Area Legal Aid: BayLegal helps low-income tenants obtain or remain in safe, affordable housing and provides legal assistance in the areas of eviction defense, housing conditions, fair housing & housing discrimnation
- East Bay Community Law Center: Housing attorneys and advocates can provide assistance on eviction defense, general tenants’ rights issues.
- Call 510-548-4040 and ask to speak with Housing Intake Worker