The Basic Needs Center is committed to supporting all students, including our international community. The resources below provide urgent relief for the basic needs of international students, but is not exhaustive.
It is important to be aware that there are tax implications for any award as your home country may tax you for any non-qualified award you receive.
Support @ The Berkeley International Office (BIO)
The Berkeley International Office provides advising and support for Cal's international students, including a limited financial aid program for those who have experienced a significant, unexpected change in their financial situation. We highly recommend contacting BIO to speak with an adviser about your situation and learn about available resources.
CalFresh is not available as a food resource for international students, but the resources below remain available to you:
- Food Pantry: emergency food relief supply offering nonperishable foods, fresh produce, and more; available to anyone with a Cal1 ID
- Food Assistance Program: short term financial award for non-CalFresh eligible students with financial need
- Emergency Housing: short-term emergency housing for students facing imminent loss of housing or currently unhoused
- Housing Security Deposit Award: financial support for students facing severe housing insecurity and need assistance in paying security deposits to secure off- or on-campus housing
- Emergency Rental Assistance: short term assistance with one month's rent
- BIO Need-Based Medical Fund: maximum award of $1000 to help international students who experience unanticipated medical costs
- University Health Services (UHS)/Tang Center: Tang Center services and the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) are available to all registered students, including international students
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): short term counseling available at no charge for all registered students, regardless of insurance plan. You can find counselors who specialize in supporting international students here
- Let's Talk Counseling: informal, brief, free consults with providers from University Health Services, some dedicated to supporting international students. You can also access non-international student specific Let's Talk through our drop-in services
Basic Needs Assistance Form
If you are experiencing an urgent challenge with access to adequate food, stable housing, general financial resources, or other basic needs, we encourage you to complete our Basic Needs Assistance Form below so that we may connect you with the needed resources.